Elephant Talk reloaded: King Crimson und das Crimsoverse

Das Forum für Progrock und Progmetal
Lobi

Elephant Talk reloaded: King Crimson und das Crimsoverse

Beitrag von Lobi »

Eigentlich wollte ich mit einem ellenlangen Text und einem Beginner's Guide einsteigen, aber grad geh ich einfach nur steil. Dann wieder, Freunde, einen besseren Einstieg in mein Crimso-Thema kann es nicht geben... endlich...

THE COMPLETE 1969 RECORDINGS

The Complete 1969 Recordings, a 26-disc boxed set, will be released on October 23rd 2020.

The complete audio history of one of the most important debut albums of all time is presented across 26 discs in this boxed set. Featuring a new Dolby Atmos mix by Steven Wilson, 6 CDs' worth of session material on CD & Blu-Ray for the first time (fully mixed by David Singleton), a further disc of newly compiled studio material, the box also includes the original studio album, every alternate take known to exist, every mix known to exist, all live recordings known to exist & a selection of pre/Crimson 1968 recordings.

As with the previous seven boxed sets in the series, The Complete 1969 Recordings is housed in a vinyl sized box complete with a booklet featuring an introduction by Robert Fripp, notes about the source tapes from David Singleton, sleeve-notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith, previously unseen photos from the recordings sessions, additional memorabilia and a protective outer sleeve.

Having done 5.1 Surround Sound mixes for both the 40th & 50th-anniversary editions of the album, Steven Wilson was able to take full advantage of the opportunities offered by Atmos mixing, allowing for far greater movement within the mix itself. As he put it: "I've definitely had a bit more fun with the Atmos mix, watch out for solos and mellotrons circling overhead!" While the improv section of 'Moonchild' is a particular beneficiary of this approach, the mix is very active, with plenty of ear-catching moments to offer to listeners.

Likewise, significant work on the multi-track tapes was undertaken by David Singleton - who mixed all of the existing multi-track sessions recordings to stereo as well as running the single track CD length 'Let's Make a Hit Waxing' - from those same tapes. "Listening to the original recording sessions was astonishing. Time collapses and you are suddenly there in the studio with a young band, just starting out, as they experiment with recording their first album. It is not so much listening to a slick product, more witnessing a process. You are present at the birth.”

King Crimson
The Complete 1969 Recordings
Tracklisting

Discs 1 - 18, 25, 26 CD
Disc 19 DVD, Disc 20 DVD-A,
Discs 21 - 24 Blu-Ray

Disc 1
Live at Hyde Park

1 21st Century Schizoid Man
2 The Court of the Crimson King
3 Get Thy Bearings
4 Announcement (Incomplete)
5 Epitaph
6 Mantra
7 Travel Weary Capricorn
8 Mars
9 Band Reunion Meeting

Disc 2
Live at the Marquee

2 Drop In
3 Announcement (Incomplete)
4 I Talk To The Wind
5 Epitaph (Incomplete)
6 Travel Weary Capricorn
7 Improv (inc Nola and Etude No. 7)
8 Mars

Disc 3
Live at Plumpton Festival

2 Get Thy Bearings
3 Announcement
4 The Court Of The Crimson King
5 Mantra
6 Travel Weary Capricorn
7 Improv
8 Mars

Disc 4
Live at Chesterfield Jazz Club

2 Drop In
3 Announcement
4 Epitaph
5 Get Thy Bearings
6 Announcement
7 I Talk To The Wind

Disc 5
Live at Chesterfield Jazz Club

1 Announcement
2 The Court Of The Crimson King
3 Mantra
4 Travel Weary Capricorn
5 Improv
6 Mars

Disc 6
Live at the Fillmore East

1 The Court Of The Crimson King (Incomplete)
2 Announcement
3 A Man, A City
4 Announcement
5 Epitaph
6 Announcement
7 21st Century Schizoid Man
8 The Court Of The Crimson King (Incomplete)
9 Announcement
10 A Man, A City
11 Announcement
12 Epitaph
13 Announcement
14 21st Century Schizoid Man

Disc 7
Live at the Fillmore West

1 Mantra
2 Travel Weary Capricorn
3 Improv Travel Bleary Capricorn
4 Mars
5 The Court of the Crimson King
6 Announcement
7 Drop In
8 A Man, A City
9 Announcement
10 Epitaph
11 Announcement
12 21st Century Schizoid Man
13 Announcement
14 Mars

Disc 8
Album - Original Master Edtion - expanded

2 I Talk to the Wind
3 Epitaph
4 Moonchild
6 21st Century Schizoid Man
7 I Talk to the Wind
8 Epitaph
9 The Court of the Crimson King (Single A Side)
10 The Court of the Crimson King (Single B Side)

Disc 9
Alternate album - expanded

1 Wind Session
2 21st Century Schizoid Man (Morgan Studio Version with Overdubs)
3 I Talk To The Wind (Alt 2019 Mix)
4 I Talk To The Wind (Duo Version 2019 Mix)
5 Epitaph (Isolated Vocal 2019 Mix)
6 Epitaph (Alt Take 2019 Mix)
7 Moonchild (Take One 2019 Mix)
8 The Court of the Crimson King (Take 3 2019 Mix)
9 21st Century Schizoid Man (Trio Version 2019 Mix)

Disc 10
2009 Album Mixes - expanded

2 I Talk to the Wind
3 Epitaph
4 Moonchild
6 Moonchild [Full Version]
7 I Talk to the Wind [Duo Version]
8 I Talk to the Wind [Alternate Mix]
9 Epitaph [Backing Track]
10 Wind Session [21st Century Schizoid Man Intro]

Disc 11
2019 Album Mixes & Instrumental Mixes

2 I Talk to the Wind
3 Epitaph
4 Moonchild
6 21st Century Schizoid Man
7 I Talk to the Wind
8 Epitaph
9 Moonchild (Edit)
10 The Court of the Crimson King

Disc 12
Let's Make a Hit Waxing

1 Let's Make a Hit Waxing

Disc 13
Sessions Disc 1

1 21st Century Schizoid Man (Morgan Studio Instrumental)
2 Epitaph Takes 1 to 3
3 Epitaph Takes 4 to 8
4 I Talk to the Wind Takes 1 to 4

Disc 14
Sessions Disc 2

1 I Talk to the Wind Takes 5 to 8
2 I Talk to the Wind Takes 9 to 12
3 The Court of the Crimson King Stereo Takes

Disc 15
Sessions Disc 3

1 The Court of the Crimson King Take 6
2 The Court of the Crimson King Take 1 and 2
3 The Court of the Crimson King Takes 3 to 7
4 The Court of the Crimson King Takes 8 to 10
5 The Court of the Crimson King Trailer Take 1

Disc 16
Sessions Disc 4

1 The Court of the Crimson King (Stormy Mix)
2 I Talk to the Wind Takes 3 to 6
3 I Talk to the Wind Takes 7 to 9
4 I Talk to the Wind Early Take
5 Drum Check
6 21st Century Schizoid Man Sax Sound Check
7 Ahh (Stormy Mix)
8 I Talk to the Wind (Stormy Mix)

Disc 17
Sessions Disc 5

1 Epitaph Takes 1 to 3
2 Epitaph Takes 5 - 11
3 Epitaph Take 2 (Stormy Mix)

Disc 18
Sessions Disc 6

1 Moonchild Takes 1 to 8
2 Moonchild Take 9 (complete)
3 Trailer Take and Take Overdubbed
4 Pipe Organ Takes
5 Wind Noise Takes
6 The Court of the Crimson King Takes

Disc 19
DVD
24/48 Complete Studio Sessions
24/48 Let's Make a Hit Waxing
16/48 Stormy Selections

Disc 20
DVD-A
24/48 Original Master Edition
24/48 2019 album mixes in hi-res stereo and 5.1 Surround

Hyde Park Film Snippet

Disc 21
Blu-Ray
24/192 Giles, Giles and Fripp - as per CD 25
24/96 Complete Studio Sessions
24/192 Live at Chesterfield Jazz Club

Disc 22
Blu-Ray
24/96 2009 Hi-Res Stereo and 5.1 Surround Mixes
24/96 Additional audio and Alternate album from the 2009 mixes
24/48 Original 1969 vinyl needledrops of UK stereo & US Mono Promo LPs
24/48 Original 1969 Mono UK Single A and B Sides and US Promo Single A Side

Disc 23
Blu-Ray
24/96 2019 Mixes in Stereo, 5.1 Surround and Instrumental Mixes
24/96 Original Master Edition
24/96 2019 Alternate Album and Additional Material Mixes

Hyde Park Film Snippet (audio mono)

Disc 24
Blu-Ray
2020 Dolby Atmos Mix
24/96 I Talk to the Wind (duo version) 5.1 Surround *
* audio through four channels only
24/96 Let's Make a Hit Waxing

Disc 25
Selected Recordings 1968

Giles, Giles and Fripp

1 Tremelo Study in A Major (Spanish Suite)
2 Suite No. 1
3 Scrivens
4 Why Don't You Just Drop In (i)
5 I Talk to the Wind (i)
6 Plastic Pennies
7 Passages of Time
8 Under the Sky (ii)
9 I Talk to the Wind (ii)
10 Erudite Eyes
11 Make it Today (ii)
12 Wonderland
13 Why Don't You Just Drop In (ii)
14 She is Loaded

Disc 26
BBC Sessions and Trees

2 Epitaph
3 The Court of the Crimson King
4 I Talk to the Wind
5 Get Thy Bearings

Live at Fairfield Hall, Croydon

6 Trees

Discs 1-3, 6 & 7 have been audio restored at DGM to remove hiss & other noise from earlier editions but with original DGM mastering to optimise original sound sources. Discs 4 & 5 present the complete concert on disc in a new transfer & master from the original cassette source - at least one generation better than previously presented. All material on Discs 1- 7 originally taken from audience or band recordings. Discs 12 - 18 are all new to disc & mixed from the original multi-track tapes. Disc 25 is taken from a new transfer & newly mastered from the original tapes. Material on disc 19 is new to disc. Material on discs 20 is new to DVD-A. Material on discs 21,22 & 24 is new to Blu-Ray.

Ich bin heiß.
Flossensauger

Re: Elephant Talk reloaded: King Crimson und das Crimsoverse

Beitrag von Flossensauger »

Ich freu' mich scheckich das demnächst die Tour-Edition 2020 'rauskommt, "The Elements 2020 Tour Box ."

Weil sie so viel getourt sind in dem Jahr.

Nein, ernsthaft: Das sind tolle Dinger, machen echt Spass, haben das jeweilige "Tourheft" als Replika dabei und die die 2020er Version steht sehr hübsch bei meinen anderen sechs Stück der jeweiligen Vorjahre. Für Neueinsteiger ist das nix, wobei man aber mit wenig Aufwand aus allen "Tour Boxen" eine neue KC Platte zusammenstellen kann (aus unveröffentlichtem, nur live gespieltem, Demo only und live im Proberaum/Soundcheck).

Es wäre nicht die schlechteste.
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Freu mich vor allem auf die Live-Stücke der 2019er Tour, aber auch so ist es eine der spannenderen Tour-Boxen seit der 2017er, die auf der 2. CD die LITA-Suite vereinte (wenn auch ärgerlich unterbrochen).
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Weitere Crimsoverse-relevante VÖ in Kürze:

Stick Men with Gary Husband - OWARI. Live-Scheibe mit Gast Gary Husband von der kurzen Japan-Tour vor der Corona-Krise. Details noch weitestgehend unbekannt, werden aber am kommenden Wochenende zugänglich gemacht. Moonjune Rec.

Bruford - Rock Goes To College (CD/DVD). Das Live-Album von Brufords erster eigener Band nach seinem und Holdsworths Ausstieg bei UK und ihrem Debütgig (aufgenommen und ausgestrahlt von der BBC) wird im Stil der Reissues aus der Seems Like A Lifetime-Box nun mit DVD neu veröffentlicht. Die Besetzung: Bill Bruford - Drums, Allan Holdsworth - Klampfe, Dave Stewart - Keys, Jerff Berlin - Bass und Annette Peacock als Gastsängerin. Gute Show, wie ich finde. Kommt im Oktober via Brufords Winterfold Rec.

Jakko Jakszyk - Secrets & Lies (CD/CD+DVD/LP+CD). Alle relevanten Infos im Pressetext:

Jakko Jakszyk's first solo album since becoming a member of King Crimson in 2013 will be released on October 23rd.

Entitled Secrets & Lies, the record features contributions from fellow KC bandmates Robert Fripp, Gavin Harrison, Tony Levin, and Mel Collins.

There are also appearances by Al Murray, Simple Minds' John Giblin, and Level 42's Mark King.

Peter Hammill, with whom Jakszyk also co-wrote one of the songs on the album, also appears on vocals and guitar.

Jakko says," The enforced sabbatical from King Crimson has given me the opportunity to complete a new solo album. Encouraged by Thomas Waber at InsideOutMusic, and aided and abetted by numerous friends, heroes and family, "Secrets & Lies" will be released on 23rd October 2020."

There's a new website to promote the album over at
https://jakko.com/#news

‘Secrets & Lies’ contains 10 songs that explore topics such as obsession, betrayal, the shifting grounds of contemporary politics, and the tangled threads of family history, Secrets And Lies balances sensitive writing, musical technique, and accessible tunes cast in an impressively cinematic sound world.

With three of the tracks, Separation, Under Lock & Key and Uncertain Times originating in King Crimson's writing sessions, the result is a mature work brimming with yearning melodies in symphonic or widescreen settings, fluid guitar work, and Jakko’s heartfelt, emotional vocals.

The album features Jakszyk joined by his King Crimson bandmates Robert Fripp, Gavin Harrison, Tony Levin & Mel Collins, as well as appearances from John Giblin (Simple Minds), Mark King (Level 42), Peter Hammill (Van der Graff Generator) and noted British comedian Al Murray.

‘Secrets & Lies’ will be released as a Limited CD+DVD Digipak (featuring 5.1 mix), Gatefold LP + CD & as Digital Album. The cover art was created by Sam Chegini, with design by Phil Smee, and you can find the full track-listing below:

1. Before I Met You
2. The Trouble With Angels
3. Fools Mandate
4. The Rotters Club is Closing Down
5. Uncertain Times
6. It Would All Make Sense
7. Secrets, Lies & Stolen Memories
8. Under Lock & Key
9. The Borders We Traded
10. Trading Borders
11. Separation
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Lobi hat geschrieben: 28.08.2020 07:45 Stick Men with Gary Husband - OWARI. Live-Scheibe mit Gast Gary Husband von der kurzen Japan-Tour vor der Corona-Krise. Details noch weitestgehend unbekannt, werden aber am kommenden Wochenende zugänglich gemacht. Moonjune Rec.
Einige Details sind nun bekannt:

OWARI album will be available for pre-orders in multiple formats: CD Hard Cover Book, 2LP gatefold 180 grams vinyl, Cassette (believe it or not!), HD Download 24bit, Download 16bit, MasterTape, and OWARI t-shirt. The outstanding live performance was produced by Markus Reuterr as a studio album, and the album was mixed and mastered by the Italian audio maestro Stefano Castagna, entirely in the analog domain.

Ein kostenloses ZOOM-Event dazu findet heute Abend um 9.00Uhr statt mit Gästen Reuter, Levin, Mastelotto, Husband und Leonardo von MoonJune Rec.. Anmeldung: https://www.markusreuter.com/living-the-dream
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Kontext:

On Friday, DGM be launching the Robert Fripp "Music for Quiet Moments" series. We will be releasing a soundscape every Friday on DGMLive, Youtube, Spotify, Apple Music and all the main online music platforms...
https://www.dgmlive.com/news/music-for- ... ts-fridays

https://www.facebook.com/notes/king-cri ... 782982519/

Teil 18: Infos und Musik
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Lobi hat geschrieben: 29.08.2020 06:48
Lobi hat geschrieben: 28.08.2020 07:45 Stick Men with Gary Husband - OWARI. Live-Scheibe mit Gast Gary Husband von der kurzen Japan-Tour vor der Corona-Krise. Details noch weitestgehend unbekannt, werden aber am kommenden Wochenende zugänglich gemacht. Moonjune Rec.
Einige Details sind nun bekannt:

OWARI album will be available for pre-orders in multiple formats: CD Hard Cover Book, 2LP gatefold 180 grams vinyl, Cassette (believe it or not!), HD Download 24bit, Download 16bit, MasterTape, and OWARI t-shirt. The outstanding live performance was produced by Markus Reuterr as a studio album, and the album was mixed and mastered by the Italian audio maestro Stefano Castagna, entirely in the analog domain.

Ein kostenloses ZOOM-Event dazu findet heute Abend um 9.00Uhr statt mit Gästen Reuter, Levin, Mastelotto, Husband und Leonardo von MoonJune Rec.. Anmeldung: https://www.markusreuter.com/living-the-dream
Pre-order, Infos und 3 Vorab-Stücke sind online: https://stickmen-moonjune.bandcamp.com/album/owari (Ich warte, bis mein Händler sie listet). (Im Zoom-Event gab es Teile des Intros, "Prog Noir" und Crimsos "Level 5" in einer fantastischen Version)

Ich finde diese (neue) Variante mit (komplett improvisierten) Keyboards überaus gelungen (Husband spielte viel mit John McLaughlin und Alan Holdsworth und war bei Level 42), vor allem entsprechend der Umstände (s. Text bei Bandcamp). Das Zoom-Event ist bisher ganz sympathisch und interessant. Kein High-End-Event, eher ein paar Typen labern, plaudern über die Hintergründe der Aufnahme und zeigen bisschen Musik. Pat Mastelotto und Tony Levin sind mit dabei. Sehr nett, down to earth und Kauz.
Mindmachine

Beitrag von Mindmachine »

Wird es für taube Kunstbanausen wie mich auch eine abgespeckte Variante des Debüts geben? So mit 1-2 Discs?
Wie kriegen die das hin, obwohl die immer was Neues machen, mich nie zu überraschen?
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Mindmachine hat geschrieben: 31.08.2020 20:26 Wird es für taube Kunstbanausen wie mich auch eine abgespeckte Variante des Debüts geben? So mit 1-2 Discs?
Gibt es schon diverse. Du könntest mit der 50th Ann. Edt. gehen, die 3 CDs und eine BD mit allerlei Bonüssen und HD-Kram enthält. Der 2019er Mix ist fantastisch und die Original-Master-Edition ist auch enthalten. Mit 30 bis 35€ sogar recht preiswert. Das ist die Normalo-Variante der kommenden Box. Gibt noch einige Remixe und Remaster, die auch fantastisch sind, aber als Amateur fährts Du mit der am besten.
Decapitated Saint

Beitrag von Decapitated Saint »

Ich freu mich mega auf Jakko's neues Album.
The Trouble with Angels finde ich schon mal super
Mindmachine

Beitrag von Mindmachine »

Lobi hat geschrieben: 31.08.2020 21:51
Mindmachine hat geschrieben: 31.08.2020 20:26 Wird es für taube Kunstbanausen wie mich auch eine abgespeckte Variante des Debüts geben? So mit 1-2 Discs?
Gibt es schon diverse. Du könntest mit der 50th Ann. Edt. gehen, die 3 CDs und eine BD mit allerlei Bonüssen und HD-Kram enthält. Der 2019er Mix ist fantastisch und die Original-Master-Edition ist auch enthalten. Mit 30 bis 35€ sogar recht preiswert. Das ist die Normalo-Variante der kommenden Box. Gibt noch einige Remixe und Remaster, die auch fantastisch sind, aber als Amateur fährts Du mit der am besten.
Danke. Das werde ich mir mal zu Gemüte führen. :)
Wie kriegen die das hin, obwohl die immer was Neues machen, mich nie zu überraschen?
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Freitag erscheint die oben angesprochene The Elements 2020-Tourbox. Hier noch schnell einige Infos:

A 2020 addition to the popular Tour Box series originally prepared for the postponed USA 2020 tour.

As with previous releases in the series, the full variety of King Crimson’s music is presented over 2 CDs with extracts from rehearsals, live recordings, elements from studio recordings, alternate takes and more from between 1969-2019. Tour Box 2020 includes 15 previously unreleased recordings.

The main sleeve-notes by KC historian Sid Smith present a series of (highly plausible) ‘what if?’ scenarios; routes and pathways the band could have followed had things been slightly different.

Disc one presents a mostly live selection of material, including four tracks taken from the 2019 tour. Disc two, in keeping with Sid Smith’s notes, presents pieces played only occasionally by the current line-up, pieces from the studio (both King Crimson and Robert Fripp that were never completed or developed in different ways), and material that never made it to a studio recording.

Packaged in a DVD-sized fold out digipak style book case with a 24 page booklet including sleeve notes by co-compiler Sid Smith and introductory notes by Robert Fripp.

Disc 1

1 Wind Extract
2 I Talk to the Wind (Alt 2019 Mix)
3 Moonchild (Including Cadenzas, Live 23rd Sept 2019) *
4 In the Wake of Poseidon (Greg Lake Isolated Vocal) *
5 Peace A Theme (Live 26th Oct 1973) *
6 Cat Food (Live 26th Oct 1973) *
7 Last Skirmish (Live 10th June 2019) *
8 Prince Rupert's Lament (Alt Take)
9 The Letters (Bill Rieflin isolated, edit section 1) *
10 The Letters (RF Guitars early take, section) *
11 The Letters (Bill Rieflin isolated, edit section 2) *
12 Ladies of the Road (Fripp/Singleton mix)
13 Easy Money (Live 5th Sept 2019) *
14 Fracture (Live 2016, Taken from Live in Vienna)
15 One More Red Nightmare (Live 4th July 2019) *
16 Starless (Mark Charig featured Studio 1974)

*Tracks previously unreleased on CD

Disc 2

1 The Sheltering Sky (Live 18 July 2019) *
2 San Francisco (From Champaign Urbana Rehearsals 1983)
3 Frame By Frame (Jakszyk/Harrison Pre-2019 Tour Demo) *
4 Running DAT 17 (edit) (Rehearsals from THRAK)
5 Exiles (Live June 2017) *
6 North Star (Exposure Rehearsals)
7 Breathless (Live 2018)
8 The Errors (Live 13 Nov 2017)
9 Ian, Boz & Robert (Studio Jam 1971)
10 Disengage (Exposure Rehearsals) *
11 Guts On My Side (Live 19 March 1974)
12 Dr. Diamond (Live 16 June 1973) *
13 21st Century Schizoid Man (Live Detroit 1972)
14 Trees (Extract Live 1969)
15 The Sheltering Scape (Assembled by Alex R Mundy)

*Tracks previously unreleased on CD

Hab mal hervorgehoben, auf welche Versionen ich mich am meisten freue. Vermutlich auf "The Sheltering Sky" im aktuellen Line Up am allermeisten - war fantastisch auf der letztenTour und eher selten gespielt. Auch der "Starless"-Ausschnitt (Song-Sektion) mit Charig ist eigenwillig, aber cool.

Trees ist als vollständige Variante auf der Live at the Marquee 1969 CD als Bonus und im kommenden Boxset enthalten. Schade, dass dieses Stück niemals in einem Studio produziert wurde.
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Lobi hat geschrieben: 01.09.2020 07:05
14 Trees (Extract Live 1969)

Trees ist als vollständige Variante auf der Live at the Marquee 1969 CD als Bonus und im kommenden Boxset enthalten. Schade, dass dieses Stück niemals in einem Studio produziert wurde.
Infos zu Trees: http://sgttanuki.blogspot.com/2008/10/k ... trees.html
Lobi

Beitrag von Lobi »

Robert Fripp's Music For Quiet Moments 19 comes from a previously unreleased soundscape performed in Barcelona 2009...
https://youtu.be/ygp41n7Iy1g

Tourbox 2020 heute erhalten. Sehr schön, wie immer.
Decapitated Saint

Beitrag von Decapitated Saint »

Lobi hat geschrieben: 04.09.2020 12:17 Tourbox 2020 heute erhalten. Sehr schön, wie immer.
Wo haste bestellt?
JPC?

Gibts auch irgendwo reine Digi Version davon?
Antworten