Devin Townsend - Lightwork (TBA)

Das Forum für Progrock und Progmetal
Crypt0rchild

Re: Devin Townsend - Keine neue Platte

Beitrag von Crypt0rchild »

Es wird doch ein neues Album kommen und "Lightwork" heissen.
I think I’m writing an album, unexpectedly...called ‘Lightwork’ that is abstract and stream of conscious. Still significantly far away from anything, but it’s determinedly taking shape. It’s been odd though, as every record is a reflection of the time it was conceived and this is clearly a weird time. It’s strange, abstract, meandering, and weird. If I try to curb it and write something more disciplined, it would be a dumb rehash of stuff I’m clearly bored of. So I follow this where it wants to go.
Almost seems like it would make sense for it to be a continuous, shifting, colourful beast as opposed to a collection of songs, more like songs in a highly elaborate and sort of alien stream of conscious: no real beginning or end But regardless: as much as I have tried to shift my motivations from this weird collection of work to something more ‘palatable’ it seems clear that this is what’s in my path now, so I’m going to finish it in the way that it insists.

I suppose considering the strange unique intensity of this period, it makes perfect sense when I hear it.

Anyways: the next album, unexpectedly, will be called ‘Lightwork’ and though it’s still being discovered, it’s a weird, alien sounding, effervescent , sunny load of oddness.
Ich segne die Regen unten in Afrika.
Porcupine
Stammposter
Stammposter

Re: Devin Townsend - Lightwork (TBA)

Beitrag von Porcupine »

Mal wieder so eine Beschreibung, bei der man nicht weiß ob man sich fürchten oder freuen soll. *lol*

Gut finde ich auf jeden Fall dass er das macht auf was er gerade Bock hat, ohne jedes Kalkül. Und wenn es wieder so genial wird wie Empath, ist alles super.
Robbi

Beitrag von Robbi »

Hm, eher fürchten, aber hört selbst ;)
Thunderforce
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von Thunderforce »

*lol*
If you twist, you fail. Twisting equals tears.
Musiksammlung | Letterboxd | Bandcamp
Porcupine
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von Porcupine »

*LOL*
So einen Quatsch macht er ja ständig.

Das hier ist auch groß - und seine Fans haben fleißig mitgemacht:
Porcupine
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von Porcupine »

Das nächste Livealbum ist im Anmarsch:
Devin Townsend will release ‘Order Of Magnitude – Empath Live Volume 1’ on the 23rd October 2020, a document of his Winter 2019 European tour that saw him taking on possibly his most ambitious live show to date.

Recorded in December 2019 in London, UK on the penultimate night of the tour in support of his latest album ‘Empath’, this run of shows saw Devin joined by an incredible line-up of musicians. The band was made up of guitarists Mike Kenneally (ex-Frank Zappa) and Markus Reuter (Stick Men, The Crimson Project), drummer Morgan Ågren (Kaipa, Mats & Morgan, Frank Zappa), bassist Nathan Navarro, Haken keyboard player Diego Tejeida, and guitarist/vocalist Ché Aimee Dorval, as well as vocalists Samantha & Anne Preis and Arabella Packford.

Devin’s plan for the Empath touring cycle was to divide it up into three ‘Volumes’, and this was Volume 1. The idea behind the shows was a simple one: none of the backing tapes or click tracks that had long been necessary to bring the kaleidoscopic cacophony in his head and on his records to life in the flesh. This would just be Devin Townsend and a band of genius-level musicians getting up there and trying to keep it from spinning off into outer space. Or maybe just letting it spin-off into outer space for the sheer hell of it.
“The whole objective was that I wanted to make that statement: This is by the seat our pants,” he says.“Because it's important to me to represent this hyper anal-retentive music that I've made over the years, but in a human way. Rather than it just being, ‘Well, here it is, perfectly done.’”

“I was overwhelmed by the fact that all these brilliant people that I have so much respect for were willing to come together and play this weird shit with me,” says Devin. “I had these unique players and this interesting instrumentation that allowed us to interpret the music in different ways. It was clear to me that I could just have fun and be me and know that they would be effortlessly be able to follow that.”

That sense of fun and freedom was evident to anyone who was there on the night. Visually, it was an assault on the senses in the best possible way. A digital screen projected vivid images throughout the show. A giant gleaming mirrorball hung from the ceiling. There were multiple costume changes and a tiki bar onstage (a tiki bar!).

‘Order Of Magnitude – Empath Live Volume 1’ will be released as a Limited Deluxe 2CD+Blu-Ray+DVD Artbook (including expanded artwork & photos), Limited 2CD+DVD Digipak, Standalone Blu-Ray, Gatefold 3LP+2CD vinyl box-set & as a Digital Album. The Blu-Ray disc includes a bonus behind the scenes documentary, and both DVD & Blu-Ray feature a 5.1 surround sound mix. The track-listing is as follows:

1. Borderlands
2. Evermore
3. War
4. Sprite
5. Gigpig Jam
6. Coast
7. Gato
8. Heavens End
9. Ain’t Never Gonna Win
10. Deadhead
11. Why?
12. Lucky Animals
13. Castaway/Genesis
14. Spirits Will Collide
15. Disco Inferno
16. Kingdom
Diesmal muss wohl das Artbook ran.
KingFear
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von KingFear »

Porcupine hat geschrieben: 18.08.2020 13:14 Das nächste Livealbum ist im Anmarsch:
Devin Townsend will release ‘Order Of Magnitude – Empath Live Volume 1’ on the 23rd October 2020, a document of his Winter 2019 European tour that saw him taking on possibly his most ambitious live show to date.

Recorded in December 2019 in London, UK on the penultimate night of the tour in support of his latest album ‘Empath’, this run of shows saw Devin joined by an incredible line-up of musicians. The band was made up of guitarists Mike Kenneally (ex-Frank Zappa) and Markus Reuter (Stick Men, The Crimson Project), drummer Morgan Ågren (Kaipa, Mats & Morgan, Frank Zappa), bassist Nathan Navarro, Haken keyboard player Diego Tejeida, and guitarist/vocalist Ché Aimee Dorval, as well as vocalists Samantha & Anne Preis and Arabella Packford.

Devin’s plan for the Empath touring cycle was to divide it up into three ‘Volumes’, and this was Volume 1. The idea behind the shows was a simple one: none of the backing tapes or click tracks that had long been necessary to bring the kaleidoscopic cacophony in his head and on his records to life in the flesh. This would just be Devin Townsend and a band of genius-level musicians getting up there and trying to keep it from spinning off into outer space. Or maybe just letting it spin-off into outer space for the sheer hell of it.
“The whole objective was that I wanted to make that statement: This is by the seat our pants,” he says.“Because it's important to me to represent this hyper anal-retentive music that I've made over the years, but in a human way. Rather than it just being, ‘Well, here it is, perfectly done.’”

“I was overwhelmed by the fact that all these brilliant people that I have so much respect for were willing to come together and play this weird shit with me,” says Devin. “I had these unique players and this interesting instrumentation that allowed us to interpret the music in different ways. It was clear to me that I could just have fun and be me and know that they would be effortlessly be able to follow that.”

That sense of fun and freedom was evident to anyone who was there on the night. Visually, it was an assault on the senses in the best possible way. A digital screen projected vivid images throughout the show. A giant gleaming mirrorball hung from the ceiling. There were multiple costume changes and a tiki bar onstage (a tiki bar!).

‘Order Of Magnitude – Empath Live Volume 1’ will be released as a Limited Deluxe 2CD+Blu-Ray+DVD Artbook (including expanded artwork & photos), Limited 2CD+DVD Digipak, Standalone Blu-Ray, Gatefold 3LP+2CD vinyl box-set & as a Digital Album. The Blu-Ray disc includes a bonus behind the scenes documentary, and both DVD & Blu-Ray feature a 5.1 surround sound mix. The track-listing is as follows:

1. Borderlands
2. Evermore
3. War
4. Sprite
5. Gigpig Jam
6. Coast
7. Gato
8. Heavens End
9. Ain’t Never Gonna Win
10. Deadhead
11. Why?
12. Lucky Animals
13. Castaway/Genesis
14. Spirits Will Collide
15. Disco Inferno
16. Kingdom
Diesmal muss wohl das Artbook ran.
Vorbestellt!
"Was schreckt Euch am meisten an der Reinheit?"
"Die Eile."
KingFear
Stammposter
Stammposter

Re: Devin Townsend - Keine neue Platte

Beitrag von KingFear »

KingFear hat geschrieben: 27.07.2020 07:20 05. September, 22 Uhr: Empath Live Volume 2 - By Request Set. Tickets: https://www.stageit.com/devin_townsend/ ... _set/85575
In knapp 2 h geht's los!

S!
Y!
L!
"Die Eile."
KingFear
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von KingFear »

DEVIN TOWNSENDS CRAPPY HALLOWEEN PARTY!
Pay want you want, 31. Oktober, Rarities-Setlist (ich hab natürlich für Sit In The Mountain gestimmt)
"Die Eile."
Porcupine
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von Porcupine »

:traenenlach:
Er ist und bleibt der geilste.

Abgestimmt hab ich vor ein paar Tagen auch.
Aber ein Ticket macht für mich nur Sinn, wenn man sich die Show auch an einem späteren Zeitpunkt anschauen kann. Am 31.10. kann ich nicht.
KingFear
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von KingFear »

Porcupine hat geschrieben: 24.09.2020 13:11 :traenenlach:
Er ist und bleibt der geilste.

Abgestimmt hab ich vor ein paar Tagen auch.
Aber ein Ticket macht für mich nur Sinn, wenn man sich die Show auch an einem späteren Zeitpunkt anschauen kann. Am 31.10. kann ich nicht.
Auf StageIt wohl nicht, die speichern die Streams ausdrücklich nicht. Aber die ersten drei Konzerte gibt's ja auch bei Youtube, das wird hier ähnlich sein.

Hast du die aktuellen Demos gehört, die er auf Twitch als Beispiele für seine Aufnahme- und Mixingtechniken nutzt? (Ich nehme mal an, dass die Antwort "nein" lautet, weil du Twitch gar nicht kennst. :D) Abgefahrenes Zeug! Und wirklich anders.
"Die Eile."
Porcupine
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von Porcupine »

KingFear hat geschrieben: 24.09.2020 14:41(Ich nehme mal an, dass die Antwort "nein" lautet, weil du Twitch gar nicht kennst. :D)
Richtig. :D
Porcupine
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von Porcupine »

So, ich bin jetzt auch Twitch User.

Welcher von den vielen Streams ist es? Ich hab mir gerade den neusten angeschaut, das war er wohl nicht...
KingFear
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von KingFear »

Dabei sein werden: Anneke, Steve Vai uuuund... Gene Hoglan! Yay!
"Die Eile."
Porcupine
Stammposter
Stammposter

Beitrag von Porcupine »

Devin war gestern wieder auf Twitch. Lightwork muss wohl etwas zur Seite treten, denn erst kommt noch ein "Ambient" Projekt das wohl "The Puzzle" heißen wird und für ca. Dezember angepeilt ist.

Devin hat Artwork-Ideen bei Travis Smith angefragt und dessen erste Ideen live vorgestellt. Das waren hauptsächlich unscharfe, verpixelte Strukturen bzw. verfremdete Fotos, aus denen Devin Dinge herausgelesen hat, die so wohl nur ihm einfallen können. Das Ganze endete in einer Collage der Bilder mit einer Art Timeline und hineinkopierten, kleinen Männchen, die in der Pixellandschaft irre Abenteuer erleben. Und genau jene hat er jetzt wohl vertont. Was bitte hat der Kerl eigentlich geraucht? *LOL*

Die Musik, die dazu im Hintergund lief, klang zunächst wirklich nach ruhigem Ambient Zeug, das hat sich aber später geändert, da diese Sounds nur die Basis waren und Devin später eine Schicht nach der anderen übereinander getürmt hat, so dass das Ganze am Ende mächtig bombastisch klang und stellenweise auch gar nicht allzu weit von Empath entfernt. Deshalb das "Ambient" oben in Anführungszeichen.
Die Soundfetzen, die man hören konnte, machen auf jeden Fall neugierig, ich bin gespannt was dabei rauskommt.
Antworten